25 March 2006

clouds with a chance of storm

I have been spending too much time surfing the adoption sites and blogs and yahoo groups. Especially the ones that have a downer feeling. Adoption from China is slowing down. The regular program is going nuts with wait for referral times climbing from last year's low of 6 month to a year or more now. People are scared that it might go to 18 months. And everyone wonders why. The most rational reasons like not enough paper ready babies would be lovely to imagine. Not lovely for those waiting, but if it is that, it is a temporary situation which can be eleviated in a number of months. CCAA is moving, reorganizing, adding employees and so training -- any of they is rational and short term. But there are those suggesting that it is political. That China doesn't want to look like the baby supplier of the world, that China doesn't want to see itself portrayed as the country abandoning its children and needing the world to bail it out. I don't understand much of what is going on, but what has been nagging at me the last few days is that if the reason for the regular program slowdown is reasonable and temporary, then why are special need waiting times going up? This kids are identified and as paper ready as you can get. Why are dossiers for targeted kids languishing in rooms in China for 100 days? It is then that the political reasons start to make sense. And this was what I thought we were avoiding by going with China. This was why not to look at VietNam or Ukraine. I wanted the program to be predictable, unpolitical, and very stable. I did not want to wonder if I was abandoning my heart to a child I wouldn't bring home, or chose a child under any kind of pressured circumstances. I wanted to adopt in the most peaceful and organized manner that I could. And now, I wonder if we are diving into a pool of sharks who have no concern for our hearts or the heart of a little girl who may be waiting for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home