28 February 2006

Octavia Butler

I was going to write tonight about my changes to this blog, how I wanted to write about our adoption, how I wanted to write more about writing, how I was a little tired of the pretentious name and how I was going to re-tool and get down to business. But D called and told me that Octavia Butler died. Fell and hit her head on a cobblestone walk outside her house. She was such a wonderful writer and I suspect she could have gone on writing for a long time. Her departure from the science fiction world is a loss to those of us who love science fiction for the social structure and relationships she wrote about instead of rockets and guns and danger for adventure's sake. She was solitary and solid. She was an artist. I will miss her work and her spirit in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home