24 July 2006

Gossip, hints, and rumor

Last Saturday, David and I went to the FTIA picnic. We met Maury and Betty, and meeting them was like seeing old friends. Although their faces were new to us, I have kept in such close touch with Betty that we resumed our conversation from the last email. They suggested that our TA could come this week, and did not say 'no' to our traveling with the group who received their TAs a week ago. We try not to get our hopes up but how can we do otherwise. We came home and got into gear for the packing we could do -- stuff for Julia, medication/toilettries -- and did more on her room. We finally printed out the document list to bring and prepared to submit for our visas.

We could be traveling by the 8th of August. This has been my wished-for travel date for a long time.

Still, it is only a wish, backed only by gossip, hints, and rumors. And I think, there is a Magic 8 Ball in there somewhere.

We also met our travel mates -- two families who I have corresponded with. I was good to meet them, to feel their commitment to what we are all doing, and also to feel like they will be good travelers and companions in China. If we are permitted to travel on the 8th, our group will grow, or rather we will join into an established group of another 4 or 5 families.

And I was wrong in my last post. At least two of the families who received TA last time, had the same time line as we did. It was hoped that we would all get our TAs at the same time. Just as well I didn't realize that. I was pretty bummed before the last TAs came because I had been told that FTIA would get no TAs at all.

I feel rather buoyed up, floating above the fray. Good or bad, I am not in the emotional stream of all that is swirling around us right now. Not a bad place to be for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home