19 May 2006

without labor

Yesterday, in an email, a friend wrote that by August we would have a kindergardener without the labor, as is birthing. This is the first time someone has said something that many adopters complain about. The comment came from a loving and wonderful friend and I take no offense. I understand why someone trying for years to have a first child would take offense. This is not 'labor' but, god, it is a lot of work. We are fortunate in that my years of yearning for a second child prompted me to investigate and get ready. When we made the decision, we could hit the ground running with a few agencies that I knew I liked, a program that I wanted to be a part of, and even special needs that I was interested in. We were able to start our paper chase right away, and also take that time to talk -- the almost endless conversation about decisions. And we have worked relatively quickly -- gather papers, sending out papers, and meeting appointments. We also luckily found our Julia quickly. With all this speed and taking part in a pilot program which gives us a certain advantage with timing, our adoption, if we are lucky will still take at the least 8 months. And although I will have had to live through a pregnancy and labor and birth, we have filled out more forms with more personal information that I would like to remember, waited on lines, been punctured and prodded, and had my finger prints taken three times. And in the next months we will learn about the wait -- waiting for China to review our dossier and decide if Xiao Zhi Kuang will become Julia Zhi Kuang. And then we will travel half way across the world, tear a little girl away from the only family she has known, and plunge her into a Caucasian, english speaking family who will love her but who will be very, very strange to her.

Yes, in August I should have my second daughter without labor. I smile. Forming family is never without labor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home